Tournament Scrabble is quite mysterious like many religions. Although widely played socially, is not known as a highly competitive game by many people.
* Scrabblers are often trying to 'convert' people. I am always thinking "who would make a good Scrabble player?"
* Scrabblers have strange meetings where they play a game with strict regulations and guidelines kind of like a church meeting.
* Scrabblers all learn from and recite a strange book, (like the Bible,) which can make or break a Scrabble game.
* Scrabblers have a belief that they will reach enlightenment if they memorize all the top 5000 sevens and eights.
* There are so called Gurus of the game have a strong commitment to the game like a priest's commitment to their religion.
* Some Scrabblers have strange rituals when playing the game. Some have to pick the tiles out of the bag in a certain way. Others have to use lucky charms when playing games.
* A naive young man once said of Scrabble: "It's more than a hobby. It's a way of life really."
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
The Scrabble religion
This post reminded me of something I have been thinking about a lot recently: Scrabble rituals.
Posted by Dawn Summers at 5:18 PM